IMPA-Future Leaders Program Application Guide
The International Master of Public Administration for Future Lead-ers (IMPA-Future Leaders) program is offered at Tsinghua University, hosted by China Foundation for Peace and Development and Tanoto Foundation.
The IMPA-Future Leaders program is a one-year English-taught Master’s Degree program delivered by the School of Public Policy and Management (SPPM), Tsinghua University. Developed out of SPPM’s IMPA program, the IMPA-Future Leaders program is particularly de-signed to expand the scope of cooperation and exchange between coun-tries participating in the BRI and to train promising talents. Featuring a curriculum that combines course studies, field research and thesis writ-ing, the program aims to help participants gain a better understanding of China’s development experiences and International development, de-velop their analytical capability for public policy, and build leadership skills necessary for public-sector professionals.
1) Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens with a valid non-Chinese personal and ordinary passport
2) Applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree or a degree equiva-lent to a Bachelor’s Degree (or above) in China.
3) Applicants should preferably be senior government officials in developing countries.
4) Applicants should be under the age of 45, with at least 5 years of work experience.
5) Applicants should have high English proficiency.
2. How to Apply
Complete the Online Application on the website of Tsinghua Uni-versity (http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn) during the designated ap-plication period. Fill in the application form, upload the application ma-terials listed below, and pay the application fee online when your appli-cation status has changed to “Verified”.
Required Application Materials:
● The information page of your valid non-Chinese personal and ordinary passport. (According to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any individual who was a Chinese national and then acquired a foreign nationality shall provide a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household registration.)
● Bachelor’s Degree certificate： Master's degree program applicants should submit a bachelor’s degree certificate. Applicants who are expecting to get the degree certificate after the application deadline shall provide the expected graduation certificate first, and the degree certificate must be submitted before registration. Applicants who have graduated before the application dealine are recommended to provide a certified copy or an authentication of the degree certificate at the same time. The certified copy/ authentication and the original degree certificate coud be combined into one PDF file and uploaded to the application system. (Please click here for the issuing method of the certification.)
● Undergraduate academic transcripts
● Personal statement (The Personal Statement should be filled out in accordance with the requirements of university template. (Click here for template)
● Two letters of recommendation (original copy, in English or Chinese): One letter must be from a professor or an associate professor of a higher education institution at which you have studied; the other must be from your current employer. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters signed by references.
● Official results of English language proficiency tests (if availa-ble): Applicants whose first language or language of instruction in their tertiary education is not English are recommended to provide evidence of English proficiency. If needed, video interviews will be conducted for prospective candidates to test their language proficiency.
● Foreigner Physical Examination Form: The examination result must be obtained within one month, stating that the applicant has no se-rious infectious diseases or any diseases which could prevent entry into China. The blank form can be downloaded at http://is.tsinghua.edu.cn.
3. Time Schedule
Scheduled to register in 2021 Fall
All successful applicants of the IMPA-Future Leaders program will receive scholarship provided by China Foundation for Peace and De-velopment. The scholarship covers the full tuition fee and miscellaneous cost (120,000 RMB/person), provides accommodation subsidy (3,000 RMB/person/month) and living allowance (3,000 RMB/person/month), and pays for the field trip and research fee and the medical insurance fee (800RMB/person/year) for the duration of the program.
5. Duration and Mode of Attendance
The program is one year full-time.
6. Curriculum Structure
Students enrolled in the IMPA-Future Leaders program are re-quired to obtain at least 27 course credits (with at least 23 credits ob-tained in courses assessed by examination). Of the 24 credits, at least 5 credits must be from required courses in Chinese language and culture, 9 credits from core courses, 6 credits from professional courses, at least 3 credits from elective courses, and 4 credit from professional practice. A 10,000-word Master’s Degree thesis is required.
The following are some of the courses scheduled to offer in the IMPA-Future Leaders program:
● Public Organization and Management
● Public Policy Analysis
● Belt and Road Initiative and the Reshaping of World Economy
● The Application of Public-Private Partnership in BRI Infrastruc-ture Development
● Comparative Politics and Government
● Comparative Governance and Development Practices
● International Political Economy
● Globalization and Governance
● Frontier of Public Management
● Politics and Government in China
● Economic Development and Policy in China
● China’s Social Policy
● China’s Foreign Strategy and Policy
● Leading Issues in International Relations
● Field Study
7. Contact Information
Ms. Man Fang (Ellen)
Office of International Cooperation and Exchange (Room 201)
School of Public Policy and Management
Beijing, 100084, P. R. China
8. About SPPM of Tsinghua University
WeChat ID: tsinghuasppm
Due to limited accommodation on campus, dormitory rooms must be applied for online; this is conduced on a first come, first served basis. On-campus rooms can only be reserved for those who successfully apply for a dormitory room online and students who have successflly applied for full Chinese Government Scholarship.
Other unfinished matters in this guide are implemented in accordance with 'Admission to Graduate Programs of Tsinghua University 2021(For International Students): http://gradadmission.tsinghua.edu.cn/f/yzlxs/yz_lxs_kstzb/view?id=500079