Ph.D., Cornell University
Areas of Research： Urban Policy and Governance, Housing Policy, Urban Social Geography, Sustainable Development, New Institutionalism Theory
Zhilin Liu is an associate professor and the Director of the Public Policy Institute in the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University.
She received her Ph.D in city and regional planning (2007) from Cornell University, USA, as well as her master degree in urban geography(2002) and bachelor degree in urban and regional planning (1999) from Peking University, China. She joined the faculty of the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, in 2007, and has taught undergraduate and graduate-level courses on social research methods, urban development and management, and urban planning and governance. She current serves as the Director of the Public Policy Institute of Tsinghua SPPM, and a Deputy Director in several cross-campus research institutes including the Institute for Sustainable Urbanization, the Urban Institute, and the Institute for Future Cities and Infrastructure.
Her research interests include urban planning and governance, urban social geography, affordable housing and community development, rural-to-urban migration, and sustainable urbanization. She is particularly interested in policy and governance issues that promote equity and sustainability of China’s rapid urbanization and development. She has led or participated in various research projects funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, National Social Science Foundation of China, Ministry of Science and Technology, and other agencies. She has published more than 60 articles in English peer-review journals, including Urban Studies, Cities, Urban Geography, Land Use Policy, Housing Studies, and Chinese academic journals including Acta Geographica Sinica, Scientia Geographica Sinica, Urban Development Studies, and Urban Planning International, in addition many monographs and book chapters.
She received the Young Geographers Award by the Geographical Society of China (2017) and the Academic Excellence Award for Young Faculty by Tsinghua University (2014). She serves on several academic committees including the Young Geographers Committee of China Geographical Society, the Academic Committee of Regional Planning and Urban Economy of China Urban Planning Academy, and the editorial boards for Urban Affairs Review, Journal of Urban Affairs, and Housing Studies.
Social Research Methods II PhD core course
Social Research Methods Undergraduate core course
Social Research Methods Massive Open Online Course (MOOC, https://next.xuetangx.com)
Urban Development and Governance PhD Seminar
Seminar in Public Policy Theory and Practice PhD Seminar
Research Design and Thesis Writing (In English) MID/IMPA Programs core course
Applied Social Research Methods (In English) MID/IMPA Programs core course
Analytic Methods for Public Administration (In English) MID/IMPA Programs core course
Quantitative Research Methods (In English) MID Program core course
Urban Planning and Development MPA Specialty course
Development Planning: Theory and Practice MPA Specialty course
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles and Book Chapters (In English)
1. FANG, Yiping, LIU, Zhilin, & CHEN, Yulin. 2020. Housing inequality in urban China: Theoretical debates, spatial evidence, and future directions. Journal of Planning Literature 35 (1): 41-53. DOI: 10.1177/0885412219880898. (SSCI, 2018 IF:2.125; Rank: 16/40 in Urban Studies).
2. LIU, Zhilin, TAN, Yiming, & CHAI, Yanwei. Neighborhood as spaces of encounter? Neighborhood-scale public spaces, inter-group attitudes, and migrant integration in Beijing, China. Urban Studies, DOI: 10.1177/0042098019879376 (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.272; Rank: 5/40 Urban Studies).
3. TA Na, LIU, Zhilin (corresponding author)*, & CHAI, Yanwei. 2019. Help whom and help what? Co-Residence and gender difference in time use in Beijing, China. Urban Studies, 56(10): 2058–2074. DOI: 10.1177/0042098018787153 (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.272; Rank: 5/40 Urban Studies).
4. LIU, Zhilin. 2019. Supporting or dragging? effects of neighborhood social ties on social integration of rural-to-urban migrants in China. Housing Studies, 34 (9): 1404-1421. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02673037.2019.1577955 (SSCI, 2018 IF: 1.882).
5. HOMSY, George, WARNER, Mildred, & LIU, Zhilin. 2019. Multilevel governance. In: Farazmand A. (eds) Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer, Cham. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31816-5.
6. HOMSY, George, LIU, Zhilin, & WARNER, Mildred. 2019. Multilevel governance: Framing the integration of top-down and bottom-up policymaking. International Journal of Public Administration, 42 (7): 572-582. DOI: 10.1080/01900692.2018.1491597. (E-SCI)
7. LIU, Zhilin, LIAO, Lu, & MEI, Ciqi*. 2018. Not in my backyard but let's talk: Explaining public opposition to facility siting in China. Land Use Policy, 77: 471-478. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.573; Rank: 26/108 Environmental Studies)
8. LIU, Zhilin, WANG, Jie, & WANG, Yujun*. 2018. Understanding individual environmental concern in the context of local environmental governance in China: A multi-level analysis. Society and Natural Resources, 31 (11): 1283-1301. DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2018.1456595 (SSCI, 2018 IF: 1.949; Rank: 37/148 Sociology; 15/41 Development Studies).
9. LI, Jie, & LIU, Zhilin(corresponding author)*. 2018. Housing stress and mental health of migrant populations in urban China. Cities, 81: 172-179. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.853; Rank: 2/40 Urban Studies).
10. LIU, Zhilin, WANG, Yujun*, & CHEN, Shaowei. 2017. Does formal housing encourage settlement intention of rural migrants in Chinese cities? A structural equation model analysis. Urban Studies, 54 (8): 1834-1850. DOI: 10.1177/0042098016634979. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.272; Rank: 5/40 Urban Studies)
11. LIU, Zhilin, MA, Jing, & CHAI, Yanwei. 2017. Neighborhood-scale urban form, travel behavior, and CO2 emissions in Beijing: implications for low-carbon urban planning. Urban Geography, 38 (3): 381-400. DOI: 10.1080/02723638.2016.1191796. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.567; Rank: 4/40 Urban Studies, 7/83 Geography)
12. CHEN, Shaowei, & LIU, Zhilin (corresponding author)*. 2016. What determines the settlement intention of rural migrants in China? Economic incentives versus sociocultural Conditions. Habitat International, 58 (September 2016): 42-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2016.09.004. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.846; Rank: 3/40 Urban Studies, 4/41 Development Studies).
13. TA, Na, KWAN, Mei-Po, CHAI, Yanwei, & LIU, Zhilin. 2016. Gendered space-time constraints, activity participation and household structure: A case study using a GPS-based activity survey in suburban Beijing, China. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, 107 (5): 505-521. DOI:10.1111/tesg.12167. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 0.856)
14. MA, Jing, LIU, Zhilin, & CHAI, Yanwei. 2015. The impact of urban form on CO2 emission from work and non-work trips: The case of Beijing, China. Habitat International, 47 (January 2015): 1-10. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2014.12.007. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.846; Rank: 3/40 Urban Studies, 4/41 Development Studies)
15. CHAI, Yanwei, LIU, Zhilin, & ZHANG, Yan. 2015. Space-Time Behavior Research and Application in China. Chapter 3 (Pp. 21-38) in Mei-Po Kwan, Douglas Richardson, Donggen Wang and Chenghu Zhou (eds) (2015) Space-Time Integration in Geography and GIScience: Research Frontiers in the US and China. Springer, 2015 (ISBN 978-94-017-9204-2).
16. DANG, Yunxiao, LIU, Zhilin (corresponding author)*, & ZHANG, Wenzhong. 2014. Land-based interests and the spatial distribution of affordable housing development: The case of Beijing, China. Habitat International 44 (June 2014), 137–145. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2014.05.012. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 3.846; Rank: 3/40 Urban Studies, 4/41 Development Studies)
17. MEI, Ciqi, & LIU, Zhilin. 2014. Experiment-based policy making or conscious policy design? The case of urban housing reform in China. Policy Sciences, 47: 321–337. DOI 10.1007/s11077-013-9185-y. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 2.619; Rank: 11/47 Public Administration)
18. LIU, Zhilin, & WANG, Yujun. 2014. Housing access, sense of attachment, and settlement intention of rural migrants in Chinese cities: Findings from a twelve-city migrant survey. Chapter 6 in Y. Huang & S-M. Li (eds) Housing Inequality in Chinese Cities (Routledge Contemporary China Series). Routledge. March 3, 2014 (ISBN-13: 978-0415834285).
19. LIU, Zhilin, WANG, Yujun, & TAO, Ran. 2013. Social capital and migrant housing experiences in urban China: A structural equation model analysis. Housing Studies, 28 (8): 1155-1174. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02673037.2013.818620. (SSCI, 2018 IF: 1.882)
20. LIU, Zhilin, & CHAI, Yanwei. 2013. Family ties, and residential mobility of urban elderly in transitional China: The case of Beijing. Pp.196-222, Chapter 11 in in Douglas J. Besharov & Karen Baehler (eds). Chinese Social Policy in a Time of Transition, Oxford University Press, June 2013 (ISBN: 9780199990313).
21. LIU, Zhilin, & WARNER, Mildred. 2009. Understanding geographical differences in child care multipliers: IMPLAN modeling methodology, economic structure, or policy impacts? Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, 39 (1): 1-85.
22. WARNER, Mildred. & LIU, Zhilin. 2006. The importance of child care in economic development: A comparative analysis of regional economic linkage. Economic Development Quarterl, 20 (1): 97-103. (SSCI, 2016 IF: 0.673)
23. WARNER, Mildred, & LIU, Zhilin. 2005. Regional economic development and local services: The case of child care. International Journal of Economic Development. 7(1): 25-64.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles in Chinese (since 2007)
1. LIU, Zhilin, WANG, Xiaomeng, MA, Jing. 2020. The Influence of Public Spaces on Neighborhood Social Interaction in Transitional Urban Beijing: Comparing Local Residents and Migrants. Scientia Geographica Sinica [DILI KEXUE],2020,40(1):69-78.
2. CHENG Xuejie, LIU Zhilin, WANG Xiaomeng. 2019. Effects of Neighborhood-Scale Public Spaces on Social Cohesion in the Context of Home-Work Separation: The Case of Beijing. Urban Development Studies [CHENGHI FAZHAN YANJIU], 26 (12): 30-39.
3. WANG Jie, DAI Yixin, LIU Zhilin, & LIAO Lu. 2019. Beyond self-interest: Sources of the NIMBY attitude and its policy solutions. Urban Problems [CHENGSHI WENTI], 2: 81-88.
4. ZHANG Yan & LIU Zhilin (corresponding author)*. 2018. Access to Housings and Home-work Separation of Moderate to Low-income Residents in Beijing Under the Market-oriented Transition. Scientia Geographica Sinica [DILI KEXUE], 38 (1): 11-19.
5. TA Na, & LIU Zhilin (corresponding author)*. 2017. Trends of research on women's space-time behavior in Western countries and implications for studies in China. Progress in Geography [DILI KEXUE JINZHAN], 36 (10): 1208-1217.
6. LIU Zhilin, & FENG Ye. 2016. Housing, Community, And Country-city Immigrants Social Integration: A Positive Study of Four Urban Agglomerations. Planners [GUIHUA SHI], 11 (32): 11-15.
7. LIU Zhilin, LIAO Lu, & NIU Chenlin. 2015. Residential satisfaction of community social capital: An empirical study of middle and low-income residents in urban Beijing. Human Geography [RENWEN DILI], 30 (3): 21-27.
8. MEI Ciqi, WANG Xiaonan, LIAO Lu, & LIU Zhilin. 2015. Patterns of “experimentation point”: Evidence from People's Daily's 1992—2003 reports on policy experimentation point. Journal of Public Administration [GONGGONG XINGZHENG PINGLUN], 2015 (3): 8-24.
9. WANG Yujun, YANG Wenhui, & LIU Zhilin. 2014. Determinants of changes in housing sources for migrant workers in urban china: An empirical study based on a twelve-city migrant survey. Population Research [RENKOU YANJIU], 38 (4): 63-74.]
10. DANG Yunxiao, ZHANG Wenzhong, & LIU Zhilin. 2014. Spatial distribution and analysis of land-based influencing factors of economical housing projects in Beijing. Geographical Research [DILI YANJIU], 33 (5): 876-886.]
11. LIU Zhilin, & QIN Bo. 2013. Urban form and low-carbon cities: Research progress and planning strategies. Urban Planning International [GUOJI CHENGSHI GUIHUA], 28 (2): 4-11.
12. QIN, Bo, & LIU, Zhilin. 2013. Urban form and low-carbon cities: Introduction to the special Issue). Urban Planning International [GUOJI CHENGSHI GUIHUA], 28 (2): 1-3.
13. MA Jing, LIU Zhilin, & CHAI Yanwei. 2013. Urban form and carbon emissions from urban transport: Based on the analysis of individual behavior. Urban Planning International [GUOJI CHENGSHI GUIHUA], 28 (2): 19-24.
14. MEI Ciqi, & LIU Zhilin. Administrative accountability and bandwagoning in policy implementation: Regional variations in energy saving policy implementation, 2006-2009. China Population, Resources and Environment, 2012, 22 (12): 127-134.
15. CHAI Yanwei, XIAO Zuopeng, & LIU Zhilin. 2012. Low-carbon optimization strategies based on CO2 emission mechanism of household daily travels: A case in Beijing. Geographical Research [DILI YANJIU], 31 (2): 334-344.
16. TA Na, CHAI Yanwei, & LIU Zhilin. 2012. Hybridization f danwei neighborhood and the emergence of urbanism. Human Geography [Renwen Dili], 27 (3): 39-43.
17. LIU Zhilin, & WANG Maojun. 2011. Job accessibility and impacts on low-income commuters in Beijing: Is there spatial mismatch in transitional urban China? Acta Geographica Sinica [DILI XUEBAO], 66 (4): 457-467. (CNKI database: cited 201 times)
18. CHAI Yanwei, XIAO Zuopeng, & LIU Zhilin. 2011. Comparative analysis on CO2 emission per household in daily travel based on spatial behavior constraints. Scientia Geographica Sinica [DILI KEXUE], 31 (7): 843-8409.
19. CHAI Yanwei, ZHANG Yan, & LIU Zhilin. Spatial differences of home-work separation and the impacts of housing policy and urban sprawl: Evidence from household survey data in Beijing. Acta Geographica Sinica [DILI XUBAO], 66 (2): 157-166. (CNKI database: cited 192 times)
20. TA Na, CHAI Yanwei, & LIU Zhilin. 2011. The origin, concepts and research progress of filtering theory. Human Geography [RENWEN DILI], 26 (1): 10-14.
21. MA Jing, CHAI Yanwei, & LIU Zhilin. The mechanism of CO2 emissions from urban transport based on individuals’ travel behavior in beijing. Acta Geographica Sinica [DILI XUBAO], 66 (8): 1023-1032. (CNKI database: cited 143 times)
22. XIAO Zuopeng, CHAI Yanwei, & LIU Zhilin. 2011. Quantitative distribution and related factors for household daily travel co2 emissions in beijing. Urban Development Studies [CHENGSHI FAZHAN YANJIU], 2011, 18 (9): 104-112.
23. LIU Zhilin, & LI Jie. 2010. Public rental housing policy: Comparative international experience and implications for China. Modern Urban Research [XIANDAI CHENGSHI YANJIU], 2010 (10): 21-26.
24. LIU Zhilin, & HAN Yafei. 2010. Expanding affordable housing through planning: What can we learn from America and England? International Planning Review [GUOJI CHENGSHI GUIHUA], 25 (3): 90-96.
25. JING Juan, LIU Zhilin, & MAN Joyce Yanyun. 2010. International experiences of low-income housing policy and its implications to china: Demand-side subsidy policies. Urban Development Studies [CHENGSHI FAZHAN YANJIU], 17 (6): 56-63.
26. WU Wenjie, LIU Zhilin, & ZHANG Wenzhong. 2010. Determinants of residential land price: Structure equation model analysis using land-leasing parcel data in Beijing. Acta Geographica Sinica [DILI XUEBAO], 65 (6): 676-684.
27. DAI Yixin, WANG Wenwen, LIU Zhilin, & Ye QI. 2010. A study on leadership model in low-carbon city governance. Modern Urban Research [XIANDAI CHENGSHI YANJIU], 2010 (8): 7-14.
28. WU Wenjjie, ZHANG Wenzhong, LIU Zhilin, & HUANG Xingwen. 2010. Tempo-spatial analysis of the residential land’s spatial pattern in Beijing. Geographical Research [DILI YANJIU], 29 (4): 683-692.
29. WANG Mao-jun, LIU Zhilin, & HUO Tingting. 2010. The succession variation analysis of nodal region in Shandong urban system in 1932-1979. Human Geography [RENWEN DILI], 25 (3): 47-54.
30. LIU Zhilin, WANG Maojun, & CHAI Yanwei. 2010. Spatial mismatch theory: A review of empirical research and methodology. Human Geography [RENWEN DILI], 25 (1): 1-6.
31. LIU Zhilin, ZHANG Yan, & CHAI Yanwei. 2009. Home-work separation in the context of institutional and spatial transformation in urban China: Evidence from Beijing household survey data. Urban Development Studies [CHENGSHI FAZHAN YANJIU]. 16 (6): 110-117. (CNKI database: cited 160 times)
32. GU Chaolin, TAN Zongbo, LIU Wan, YU Taofang, LIU Helin, DAI Yixin, LIU Zhilin, ZHENG Siqi. A study on climate change, carbon emissions, and low-carbon city planning. Urban Planning Forum, 2009 (3): 38-45.
33. LIU Zhilin, DAI Yixin, DONG Changgui, & QI YE. 2010. Low-carbon city: Concepts, international practice and implications for China. Urban Development Studies [CHENGSHI FAZHAN YANJIU], 16 (9): 1-7. (CNKI database: cited 551 times)
34. LIU, Zhilin. 2009. Central-Local divergence in low-income housing policy approach– decision modeling analysis using the analytic network process. Urban and Regional Planning Research [CHENGSHI YU QUYU GUIHUA YANJIU], 2 (2): 48-67.
35. CAI Qin, LIU, Zhilin, & QI, Ye. 2008. Challenges and responses in urban governance under scientific development. Urban Development Studies [CHENGSHI FAZHAN YANJIU]. 15 (3): 144-155.
36. CHAI Yanwei, LIU, Zhilin, & SHEN, Jie. 2008. Changes of the DANWEI system and its effects. Arid Land Geography [GANHANQU DILI]. 31 (2): 155-163.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles in Chinese and Other Languages (prior to 2007)
37. CHAI, Yanwei, & LIU, Zhilin. 2003. The transformation of work unit system in China: Its implication to individual daily life and urban spatial restructuring. Komaba Studies in Human Geography, 16 (Special Issue: Human Activity Systems in Chinese Cities): 55-78. The University of Tokyo, Japan. (In Japanese).
38. CHAI, Yanwei, WENG, Guilan, & LIU, Zhilin. 2003. Feminist Geographical Research on the Behavior Spaces of Female Residents in Chinese Cities. Human Geography, 18 (4): 1-4. (In Chinese)
39. CHAI, Yanwei, LIN, Tao, LIU, Zhilin, & Cao Yimin. 2003. “Theoretical construction of tourism central place and its application to Jilin Tourism Planning.” Scientia Geographica Sinica. 23 (5): 547-553. (In Chinese)
40. LIU, Zhilin, & CHAI Yanwei. 2001. “The leisure spatial structure of Shenzhen citizens on weekends.” Economic Geography. 21 (4): 504-508. (In Chinese)
41. LIU, Zhilin, & CHAI Yanwei. 2001. “A time-geographic framework on enterprise study: a re-explanation of Taylor Model.” Areal Research and Development. 20 (3): 6-9. (In Chinese)
42. LIU, Zhilin, CHAI Yanwei, & Gong, Hua. 2000. “The study on citizens’ leisure time use in Shenzhen City.” Human Geography. 15 (6): 73-78. (In Chinese)
43. CHAI Yanwei, LI, Zhengrong, LIU, Zhilin, & SHI, Zhonghua. 2000. A Review of Time Geography. Human Geography. 15 (6):54-59. (In Chinese)
44. GONG, Hua, CHAI Yanwei, & LIU, Zhilin. 2000. “Analysis of the time-space structure of Shenzhen citizens’ daily activities.” Human Geography. 15 (6):60-66. (In Chinese)
45. SHI, Zhonghua., CHAI Yanwei, & LIU, Zhilin. 2000. “The time-space analysis of citizen mobility characteristics of Shenzhen city.” Human Geography. 15 (3): 37-42. (In Chinese)
Monographs and Edited Books in Chinese
1. LIU, Zhilin, MAN, Joyce Y., & JING, Juan.2016. International Experiences of Affordable Housing Policy: Policy Models and Instruments. Beijing, China: The Commercial Press.
2. LIU, Zhilin, & QIAN, Yun (translate and edit). 2013. Compact City Policies: A Comparative Assessment (edited by OECD), Beijing, China: China Architecture & Building Press.
3. CHAI, Yanwei, LIU, Zhilin, LI Zhengrong et al. 2002. The Time-Space Structure of Chinese Cities. Beijing: Peking University Press.
Book Chapters in Edited Volumes in Chinese
1. LIU Zhilin. 2016. Policy design and local implementation of affordable housing policy in China. Pp. 65-120 in Urban China Initiative (ed). Collection of Excellent Funded Projects by Urban China Initiative (2012-2014). Beijing: People’s Daily Press.
2. LIU Zhilin. 2014. Urban and regional policy for climate change risk management. Pp.306-345 in XUE Lan, et al. Risk Governance on Climate Change. Beijing: the Science Press.
3. XUE Lan, QI Ye, MENG Yanchun, LIU Zhilin, & YIN, Chengzhi. 2013. Urban governance in the context of urbanization in China. Pp.361-487 in LI Qiang, & XUE Lan (eds). Strategic Research for the New Urbanization with Chinese Characteristics (Vol. 4). Beijing, China: China Architecture & Building Press.
4. LIU Zhilin. Qualitative research method and its application in urban geography. Chapter 17 (pp.264-285) in CHAI Yanwei, et al. Approaches and Methods in Urban Geography. Beijing, China: The Science Press.
5. CHAI Yanwei, LIU Zhilin, & LIU Yungang. Prospects in approaches and methods in urban geography. Chapter 19 (pp. 302-314) in CHAI Yanwei, et al. Approaches and Methods in Urban Geography. Beijing, China: The Science Press.
6. LIU Zhilin. 2011. Supply-side subsidy policy for affordable housing – international experiences and implications for China. Pp. 152-168 in MAN Joyce Y., LONG Guoqiang, & JING Juan (eds). Low-Income Housing in China: Current Issues and Policy Design. Beijing, China: The Commercial Press.
7. JING Juan, & LIU Zhilin. 2011. International experiences in low-income housing: Demand-side subsidy. Pp. 169-18 in MAN Joyce Y., LONG Guoqiang, & JING Juan (eds). Low-Income Housing in China: Current Issues and Policy Design. Beijing, China: The Commercial Press.
8. Qi Ye, LIU Zhilin, CAI Qin. 2009. Governing Urbanization for sustainability in china: Role of government in transformation. Pp. 311-365 in China Urban Studies Society (ed). China’s Low Carbon Eco-City Development Strategy. Beijing, China: China City Press.
9. LIU Zhilin. 2009. From quantitative-qualitative division to integration: Methodological innovation in urban geography under paradigm shift in theory. Pp. 130-134 in LIU Weidong, CHAI Yanwei, ZHOU Shangyi (eds). Geographical Forum (Volume 1)-Reports from the Fourth Workshop on Human Geography. Beijing, China: The Commercial Press.